"mount -a -t nfs" problems found and solved

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Tue Sep 26 18:52:37 AEST 1989

In article <89Sep26.001054edt.30815 at snow.white.toronto.edu> cks at white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

>  Well, I found the cause of the problem we were having with "mount -a
> -t nfs" getting a SIGSEGV. It turns out that the DS3100 mount is
> somewhat stricter (in a sense) about malformed /etc/fstab lines
> (although I wish it gave an error message!).

There's actually a warning about this feature in the release notes.
It sure would be nice if all the ::: like command files, including
/etc/passwd understood # comments, but that's another story.

On nice thing that crept in somewhere around 3.0 is you can put something
like xx in the rw/ro/sw field and have most of the programs cooperate -
mount -a doesn't mess with it, but an explict mount by file system name
works as does df.  Too bad it's not documented or 100% consistant across
programs that can access /etc/fstab...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net