DECstation 2100/3100 window speeds and differences?

Michael McGuffey mcguffey at muvms3.bitnet
Sat Sep 9 03:21:24 AEST 1989

We are in the process of evaluating Digital workstations for use as
DECwindows terminals (i.e. use them for the standard DECwindows apps and
some minimal local processing, but mostly as Xterminals with DECterms and
major applications running on a VAX 11-785/8700/6000-430 VAXcluster (VMS).

We've heard that DECstation's, because of the RISC processor, really need
a minimum of 16MB for running DECwindows.  I'm evaluating a color 16MB DS3100
and am quite pleased with the performance, but what is the performance like
on the 8MB version?  Even slowing the machine down do DS2100 speed would be
acceptable.  Anyone using an 8MB 2100 (Color or Mono) that would care to
add their thoughts?

We have several color VS2000's.  Can we swap monitors with a mono DS2100
or DS3100 and get a greyscale 2000 and color 2100/3100?  In other words,
is the only difference between the mono and color DECstation the monitor
or is there some inherent electronics hardware difference?  What's involved
in a mono to color DECstation upgrade.

Any other info or comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey at muvms1		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3 at wvnvms.wvnet.edu