Can V1.2 file systems be mounted under 3.0

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 03:16:12 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep1.125332.9286 at acd4.UUCP> mjb at acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan          ) writes:
> In article <7802 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >In article <1444 at esat.kuleuven.ac.be> ELSEN at esat.kuleuven.ac.be (Marc Elsen) writes:
> >>     I will soon be upgrading from Ultrix 1.2 to 3.1 and I was wondering
> >> whether V1.2 file systems can still be mounted under Ultrix 3.1.
> >
> >The clean flag is basically advisory - if there have been no changes to the
> >filesystem since it was mounted/unmouted, fsck -p can skip checking it and
> >mount doesn't complain when you try to mount it.  You can still mount an
> >old (1.2) or "dirty" filesystem by using the "-o force" option to mount.
>
> You don't need to use the "-o force" option to mount.  Assuming you
> have the 1.2 filesystems in /etc/fstab, an fsck will automatically be
> run on that filesystem when the system is booted.  The fsck will
> properly setup the "clean byte", and those filesystems will then be
> 3.0 filesystems.  No problem!

Of course, assuming it's a one time cutover.  If you're stepping gingerly,
you may not want to have 3.x fsck "improve" the filesystem right off and
if you're switching back and forth in a test mode, you'd have to fsck
the filesystem again every time 1.2 gets its claws into it...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net