DECstation 2100/3100 window speeds and differences?

Steve D. Miller steve at fnord.umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Sep 12 03:50:13 AEST 1989

   It depends on your pain threshold.  I've run DECwindows (well, OK, let's
be more accurate:  the DEC X11 server with the standard X11 tools) on
DECstations 3100 with 8MB memories, and I find it a wee bit slow but still
tolerable.  Going to 12MB makes a big difference -- big enough that I'm not
buying machines with less than 12MB these days.  If you've got the money,
you should do the same.

   Punting the DECwindows applications (or using them only as absolutely
necessary) and using the standard X11 tools is a big win in terms of memory
usage.  The xterm binary is only half the size of dxterm, for instance...

   Caveat:  I used to run X11 (off the MIT tape) on a mono Sun-3/60, and
without any of the Purdue speedups or using gcc.  I considered that OK, too,
so I may have a higher pain threshold than most other people!

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve at umiacs.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742