SLIP problem on Ultrix 3.0

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Apr 12 08:28:52 AEST 1990

In article <12124 at s.ms.uky.edu> david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> Yes that's the case.  (That having multiple sl devices doesn't work).
>
> The code for if_sl.c appears to have compiled to only support 1 sl device.
> Or rather, I don't know how it'd have >1 ...  Weeerll ... it almost does.
>
> If it matters any ... all of my SLIP links are in net 223.163.130.0.
> Perhaps this would work if the links were in different nets?

Any action on this lately?  In digging thru some other TCP related stuff, it
appears that each link is supposed to be a different net/subnet unless the
software has some provision for fudging up an anonymous net.  I don't know
to what extent you might be able to fake this out with something like a 2-bit
subnet mask specified for that interface or other trickery.  Having both
"interfaces" on the same "net" might result in a lack of interest in routing
packets to the right link since the system could conclude that they are both
on the same net and therefore both see the same packets.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com