csh weirdness under Ultrix 3.0?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sun Apr 8 17:22:10 AEST 1990

In article <642 at fsu.scri.fsu.edu> hudgens at fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:

> Anyone ever noticed this?  We're running Ultrix-32 V3.1B
> on a VAX.  The use of double quotes and back quotes seems to
> cause octal 377's to be interspersed with regular output.
> I seem to recall seeing this mentioned somewhere (perhaps in this
> newsgroup).  Anyone know why csh does this?  Neither bash nor
> sh seems to do this, nor does any other UNIX machine I have tried.

This is a feature that DEC introduced in trying to make the shell 8-bit
transparent - they had to change the quoting mechanism from 8-th bit to
"escape" characters.

If you are running VAX stuff, use an either use /usr/new/csh or csh from one
of the older releases, I don't remember if 3.0 is ok, or you have to go back
to 2.2.

For RISC stuff, you need the version from the 3.1C mandatory patch tape.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com