License Management Facility (LMF)

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at bbn.com
Thu Apr 12 02:03:34 AEST 1990

In article <1040 at fiver.UUCP> palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <54695 at bbn.COM>, by fkittred at bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge):
>> In article <00934FDA.44D76CA0 at KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr at KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>   Hmm, now this sounds interesting.  How does DEC networking products
>get along with other networks such as SUN's, HP's and maybe UNIX 3.2
>on 386 PC's? What is this "non-networking" or "non-standard"?
>Dosn't DEC have a standard TCP/IP implementation with the ULTRIX product?
>Are there any problems useing DEC's networks when working with X-windows
>to another OS say's SUN's?

No, no, no!  My complaint is with LMF, not DEC's networks.  Presently, LMF
is only of use on DEC systems.  In a distributed, heterogeneous environment,
this greatly reduces the usefulness of LMF.  If DEC decides to develop a
product for this environment, either they will have to produce an LMF for
each of their competitors systems, or they will have to adhere to some
standard for network licensing.  One choice makes life easy for customers
and ISVs; one makes it more difficult.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred at bbn.com