License Management Facility (LMF)

Kral braun at drivax.UUCP
Sat Apr 14 06:20:01 AEST 1990

In article <00934FDA.44D76CA0 at KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr at KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

>Any other UNIX operating system (Sun OS, Berkie, AT&T, AIX) doesn't do this
>LMF stuff. Do they? Nope. Only Digital.
>
>It shows a lack of fundmental trust at some level.

>From a user perspective, I don't mind LMF.  Here's why: Clustering technology
makes it real easy for sites to breach their CPU licenses.  No copy necessary,
you just execute from shared disks on multiple CPUs, all for a single CPU
price.  If your vendor finds out, you suddenly owe them (potentially) a lot of
money.  And it's real easy to accidentally get setup this way.

Other programs may prevent this by checking CPU serial IDs.  Do you consider
this a " lack of fundmental [sic] trust at some level"?

--
kral 	408/647-6112			...amdahl!drivax!braun
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."