Paging problem on Decstaion 3100

Paul Killey paul at speedmetal.engin.umich.edu
Thu Apr 12 05:25:00 AEST 1990

In article <23066 at netnews.upenn.edu> hagan at DCCS.UPENN.EDU (John Dotts Hagan) writes:

>Interesting.  I have seen some tasks seem to dump core when started, like:
>% emacs
>Segmentation Fault
>(core dumped)
>%
>but the core file is really from /bin/csh, not emacs!

If you say (emacs) or emacs & or run emacs from /bin/sh you're all
set.  I think because then you get forked, and not vforked.

We get the segmentation fault when trying to run emacs all the time,
but no core file.  Our fix is to have people invoke it one of the ways
indicated above.

We also have the creeping load average till the system hangs at least
once a day on at least one of our machines.

--paul