License Management Facility (LMF)

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Apr 12 01:42:56 AEST 1990

In article <BARNETT.90Apr11084318 at grymoire.crd.ge.com>
barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

| Therefore a Sun with two serial ports is a two-user machine. You can
| have 100 people log on over the network. and it won't kick you off with
| "too many users". If you add a 16-port serial interface card, you should
| purchase a multi-user upgrade.
|
| For some reason DEC considers a network connect a new user, while Sun
| does not. Don't ask me why.

Yeah, when I was at DG we tried to get AT&T to say one way or another
whether network users (and batch jobs on the layered UNIX port) were
considered users or not......  Fortunately for us at that time, AT&T
made the issue moot by removing all of the user classifications (and
lowering the per CPU cost, though raising the initial cost).  Another
fun issue is whether a cluster type of computers is one computer or
many......

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so