slip

Jeff Ross jross at pilot.njin.net
Fri Aug 31 02:35:32 AEST 1990

I'm a little new to the management of a ultrix system so my question
may be a little trivial but anyway, here is the situation.  I am
running ultrix 3.0 on a MVII with 16Mb of memory.  this machine is
connected to our local ethernet and is connected to a slip line
running at 9600bps (granted, not overly fast, but enough for right
now)  the problem is thus, if I come from one of 2 other machines via
tcp/ip on the ethernet side, and I attempt an ftp to someplace, the
microvax provides the nameservice to the machine then I attempt to
connect to the ftp site which happens, however from then on, I
sometimes will get a prompt for my username sometimes I don't, if I
do, I'll also get the prompt for my password, then ftp just seems to
hang.  I can however connect from the mv using ftp without any
problems.

telnet seems to work (or at least as far as I can tell) am I doing
something wrong? is it because of my slow line to the outside?

thanks in advance...

						Jeff
--
Just plain and simple....
arpa:  jross at pilot.njin.net
uucp:  jeff at wisdom.UUCP  (uunet!tronsbox!wisdom!jeff)