dump and restore from cron

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Fri Dec 14 03:43:56 AEST 1990

Well, sometimes what Digital tells you might not really be totally
accurate.  Iknow this is shocking to many of you... :-)

We do this with a shell script.  Crontab entry looks like:

0 18 * * * /var/adm/manager/rootbkup

the shell script is basically (I took out all the nice problem
checks, mounting, etc. for this example):

dump 0uf - / | (cd /bck ; restore xf -)         >/dev/console

Now...  I only made it a shell script to add the mounts,
unmounts, logging, etc.  The trick is to send your output to the
console, then /dev/tty means something.

Fred