su bug in Ultrix 4.1 still there

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Wed Dec 12 15:44:32 AEST 1990

Sm at cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Scott Merrilees) writes:
> This provides much better tracking of root
>access than having someone log into root to do something, which leaves
>you with the problem: Who was it? Programmer A or B or C ?

	If you're running enhanced security, presumably your environment
isn't the type where you have 3 programmers just logging in as root or
'su'ing at the drop of a hat. *enhanced* implies you're serious about
security, and presumably you have some kind of additional controls or
change tracking in place - not just "I needed to edit the password
file so I su'd to root". We're talking having programmer A notify the
site security officer that they're going to log in as root and add
the following accounts, thank you - if you're not *that* serious about
security, either re-write 'su' or don't run enhanced. It's my impression
that running enhanced means you're into security enought that you are
also using the other C2 stuff - access failure logging, file creation,
modification logging - the whole ball of wax. (which nobody in their
right mind but a spook is going to want to do)

mjr.
--
	Somehow, "features" became the driving force behind applications,
rather than getting the job done efficiently and cleanly. Conceptually,