diskless client environment question

David Collier-Brown davecb at yunexus.YorkU.CA
Sun Dec 16 12:43:21 AEST 1990

karen at umbc3.umbc.edu (Karen Petraska-Veum) writes:

| I have 4 DS3100s, one acting as a server and the other three diskless,
| presently running Ultrix 3.1.  I'm getting ready to upgrade them to Ultrix
| 4.1, and due to disk space constraints, I'm considering setting up the
| diskless clients so that the /usr they mount is the server's /usr, not the
| /dlenv0/root0.mips/usr.  (this is the way that the diskless Sun's are set
| up).

  We did this once, as an experiment, just before going to diskfull clients.
It seemed to work, but we had some probably unrelated problems with 3.1c and
didn't try it on our main lab (40 2100s, 4 servers).  For sanity's sake we
put all the to-be-shared applications in the client /usr (/dlenv0) and put
symlinks in from the server /usr.  If anything was going to be licenced on
the server only, we would have put in in the server /usr only, and vice
versa.
  If circumstances permitted, I'd have tried it on one of the servers, but
we chickened out due to time pressures: we needed the system up for last
september.

--dave

[ps: anyone else out there with diskless 2100/3100's: we have some serious
     performance problems and are working madly with dec to get them speeded
     up for January]
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb at Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just