perl on DECstation, Ultrix 4.1

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Tue Dec 11 03:47:09 AEST 1990

In article <RUSTY.90Dec9105756 at belch.Berkeley.EDU>
rusty at belch.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:

| What's the trick to get perl (patch level 41) to compile under Ultrix
| 4.1 on a DECstation with optimization?  I thought I remembered someone
| saying that you had to use 1 for VOIDFLAGS and I'm doing that, but
| it's still failing tests op.eval and op.s.

Don't optimize, and set d_castneg to 'undef'.  I don't remember
off-hand which are the modules that have traditionally broken the MIPS
optimizer.  The castneg was recently reported, and it's because PERL
and the MIPS compiler disagree on how negative floats are to be
converted to unsigned.

Alternatively, you could use my patches to GCC, which runs perl just
fine even at the highest optimization level.  If you have Ultrix 3.1,
you do have to tell perl no to use the waitpid function, since the
function is broken in those revisions.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?