Switching from DECwindows to X11R4

Eric Pearce eap at bu-pub.bu.edu
Sun Dec 9 09:37:47 AEST 1990

In article <MIKE.90Dec5105939 at apex.yorku.ca> mike at apex.yorku.ca (Mike Marques) says:
>Greetings...
>
>There's a possibility that we will be switching a number of users from DECwindows
>running on Ultrix 3.1D to MIT distributed X11R4 (I know DECwindows is R3).
>Has anyone done this?
>If so could you describe what were the biggest problems you had when doing so?
>I'm looking for loss of functionality, user confusion, etc...
>I know I lose display postscript when doing so since it is implemented as a
>server extension.

My motivation for switching over was that we are writing applications
with Motif 1.1 and X11R4.   I commented out Xprompter out of /etc/ttys
and fired up xdm from rc.local.  There is an alias file to map
decwindows fonts to MIT fonts (so you can still run dxcalendar, etc)
You can type it in from the Ultrix/UWS 4.0 Release notes suppliment or
get it from various anonymous ftp sites.  There is also a program floating
around that can grab fonts from the Dec server and output them in bdf
format so you can run bdftosnf and it install them for the MIT server.
The MIT server seems faster than the Dec R3 server, but to be fair,
the 4.1 Dec one is supposedly R4 and might be comparable.
Things look better with the SHAPE extension too.

-e
 Eric Pearce eap at bu-pub.bu.edu
 Boston University Information Technology
 111 Cummington Street, Boston MA 02215  617-353-2780 voice  617-353-6260 fax