DEC software distribution policy

James D Moore jmoore at cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Dec 20 00:57:09 AEST 1990

Greetings,

Recently we purchase a couple of DEC3100 stations from DEC with a TLZ04
(4mm tape backup) setup. Our DEC3100's arrived about 1 week before I
started hearing that Ultrix 4.1 was being sent out with new DEC machines.
Since I could not set up the systems for 2-3 weeks I had to leave them in
boxes until I could get to them. Of course we received Ultrix 4.0 with our
media order. I initially assumed that we would receive updates sometime in
the future. When I received the TLZ04 last week I find out that it is
supported under 4.1 but there is no mention of support under 4.0. Since I
had read that in this group that someone had connected it to a 4.0 system
and it had worked I have connected it and it appears to work.

Some recent comments have given me the suspicion that DEC sends software
updates only to people with the appropriate software support (purchased
from them of course). Should I be screaming at DEC about getting Ultrix 4.1?
After all when we ordered the entire system we also placed the order for
the TLZ04 at the same time. One of the reasons for us ordering when we
did was that we were told that X11R4 would be shipped with Ultrix 4.0. Now
we find that 4.0 does not have R4 supported and that 4.1 does. Any comments
on how I should approach DEC about this?

I beleive that DEC should supply the most recent software when a complete
system is ordered especially if one of the major components is going to
require a software revision like the TLZ04 (which by the way has a patch
tape included for Ultrix 4.1). Comments? Suggestions? Are you listening
DEC ???

James D. Moore				jmoore at ecn.purdue.edu
Computer Engineer 			Phone:(317) 494-2686
Purdue University, Industrial Engr. Dept., W. Lafayette, In 47907