rexd functionality for Ultrix 3.1 and PC-NFS?

Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top geoff at hinode.East.Sun.COM
Sun Dec 2 01:12:21 AEST 1990

I believe that the rex code in in the ONC sources, so
getting it on the VAXen is a matter between you and Digital.

On the PC-NFS clients, you need to think about the differences
between rsh and on/rex. The added value that on/rex brings is
that it arranges for your current directory context to get mounted
on the target system so that "cd foo; on bar bletch" will run the
command bletch on the system bar within the directory foo. This
is a decidely Unix-centric concept. The current context for a
DOS process is defined by a bunch of drives and devices, some local
and some remote. Replicating the context on another system is
pretty problematic. This is why in 5 years of PC-NFS we've never
bothered to implement on/rex; "rsh" seems to do the job just fine.

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff at East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***