unix/VMS file trans via ultrix?

Jeff Michaud michaud at decvax.dec.com
Mon Feb 26 10:12:51 AEST 1990

> I want to transfer large amounts of files from VMS/VAX
> to HP-UX and there's an Ultirx machine which talks to both.

	On the ULTRIX machine install the DECnet-Internet Gateway
	subsets which comes with your DECnet-ULTRIX kit.  Then you

		% ftp ultrix-machine-name
		Username: vmsmachine-name::username
		Password for vmsmachine::username:
		ftp> get ....
		ftp> put ....
		ftp> ls ....
		ftp> dir ....

	to transfer binary files make sure to give the ftp "binary"
	command.

	From the VMS side you can:

	$ copy ultrix-machine-name"hp-name!username password::"...." ...

	Binary file transfers have to be initiated from the ftp side
	because VMS COPY command will only ask for ascii mode transfer,
	unless you have VMS V5.1 or later, then you can use:

		$ EXCHANGE/NETWORK/TRANSFER_MODE=BLOCK

|Jeff Michaud    michaud at decwrl.dec.com  michaud at decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |