color X server(Xcfb) for DECstation uses up 128 colors

Frank A. Lonigro franco at bbn.com
Fri Feb 23 05:35:48 AEST 1990

Hi:
	I've been trying to get connected to the QAR system for 2 days now
and can't seem to get threw, so I'm reporting the bug here.

	I just upgraded my DECstation3100 from field test 1 to field test 2
of Ultrix 4.0.  I installed the manditory patches after that and rebuilt the
kernel and all of that sort of stuff.  I reboot and then log in.  I run a
program called "xcmap" which displays my color map of already used up colors,
which to my surprise, I find that I have used up 128 colors, when in fact I
should only be using up 2 or 3(black, white and/or gray).  I then thought of
bringing back the previous version of Xcfb, which by the way worked properly
before in field test 1, but when I installed and used that instead, I had
the same problem.  So, if it isn't the Xcfb that is using up the colors, what
is????  I'm using the same .Xdefaults file I always used.

	This is very very bad!!!  I now have to backup to a previous release
of Ultrix, unless another solution is found very soon.

Thanks for listening,
-franco

Frank A. Lonigro	     (franco at bbn.com, ...!harvard!bbn!franco)
Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc., 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, Mass. 02138
"e, s, s, s, n, e, e, nw, get chest, se, w, s, d" - Sound familiar???