Dumping multiple partitions to a single tape.

Mike Khaw khaw at parcplace.com
Sat Feb 24 12:17:40 AEST 1990

davew at gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) writes:

+In article <1990Feb21.051622.10343 at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> map at cscosl.ncsu.edu (Mark Parris) writes:
+
+[deleted text about using the nrmt device]
+
+>Someone mentioned using mt rewind to rewind the tape after all of the
+>dumps were made.  I was unable to test this because there seemed to be no
+>equivalent for remote dumps.   I simply rewound using the tape drive rewind
+>button.

+There is an easy workaround for this one.  For your last dump use
+the rewind device and the tape will rewind automatically when
+the dump is complete.

If dump behaves like tar, then this will cause the tape to rewind to
BOT *before* dumping the last filesystem, thus destroying your earlier
dump(s).
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043