DS3100 serial port problems

Brook Milligan brook at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Feb 24 03:51:49 AEST 1990

I am trying to connect the modem port of a DS3100 (Ultrix v3.1/UWS
v2.1) to a hardwired serial line for uucp/tip use via a Micom
linedriver.  At this point all I can get when I `tip micom' is the
message `connected (/dev/ttyd0)' followed by nothing.  The linedriver
and serial line work fine with a PC so I suspect either my cable
connection to the linedriver or my /etc/remote file or ...  Has anyone
done this or something similar?  Can you offer suggestions?

I wish to use this for outgoing connections only so I have no gettys
on this port.  The relevant portion of /etc/ttys is

ttyd0   "/etc/getty std.9600" dialup	off 		# modem line

and the relevant portion of /etc/termcap is

sd|du|dialup:\
	:tc=unknown:
su|dumb|un|unknown:\
	:am:bl=^G:co#80:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:

The relevant portion of /etc/remote is

micom|hardwire:\
	:dv=/dev/ttyd0:\
	:br#9600:\
	:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:\
	:ie=%$:\
	:oe=^D:

The cabling goes from the DS3100 to Dec H8571A adapter to convert the
6 wire cable to a regular DB25 connector.  This adapter is to connect
the following pins:

	Dec MMJ connector		DB25
`	1 DTR				20 DTR
	2 Trans. data +			2 Trans. data
	3 Trans. data -			7 Signal ground
	4 Recv. data -			7 Signal ground
	5 Recv. data +			3 Recv. data
	6 DSR			{	6 DSR and
				{	8 DCD

The linedriver expects only the signals trans. data, recv. data,
signal ground, and DTR (i.e., pins 2, 3, 7, and 20).  At the advice of
local communication gurus I connected pins 6, 8, and 20 between the
Dec adapter and the linedriver; however, the same thing (i.e.,
nothing) seems to happen if I connect them straight through.

Have I miswired these cables?  Am I using the wrong device file
(/dev/ttyd0)?  Is /etc/remote misconfigured?  Is there another file I
must configure? ...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Brook G. Milligan                   Internet:   brook at emx.utexas.edu
Department of Botany                Bitnet:     bohk313 at utaivc
University of Texas at Austin       UUCP:       ...!ut-emx!brook
Austin, Texas  78713   U.S.A.       (512) 471-3530