what are gnodes?

Jeff Finkelstein jeff at artud2.enet.dec.com
Fri Feb 2 13:35:18 AEST 1990

In article <821 at larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>We often get the message "out of gnodes" in our news partition
>on our Ultrix microvaxen.  I read up on the Unix file system,
>and learned the basics of blocks and inodes and such, but uncovered
>no reference to "gnodes".
>
>where are these described, and how do I manipulate them to prevent
>usenet news from giving us so much grief?

The gnode is the in memory data structure that defines the inode
information. It actually contains more information than the inode
itself, particularly relating to the ULTRIX file system. See the
file /usr/include/sys/gnode.h for more information.

Regarding the problem, increase the number of inodes in the filesystem
that you have your news files going to (or decrease the number of
files).

BTW - can you send a description of the filesystem to me for future
reference?

-jeff

Jeff Finkelstein		Internet:   jeff at artud2.enet.dec.com
ULTRIX Support			UUCP:       ...!decuac!artud2!jeff