NCP in DECnet-Ultrix gives syntax errors

Jens Trier Rasmussen jenst at cernvax.UUCP
Tue Feb 20 19:07:13 AEST 1990

In article <8498 at shlump.nac.dec.com> michaud at decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:

>> When I try to use NCP in DECnet-Ultrix in order to let a object have
>> another default user account it is impossible, due to the fact that NCP
>> returns a syntax error (e.g. default user unknow keyword). This also
>> happens if I let NCP prompt me.

>	Please be more specific.  What is the exact command syntax

>		ncp define object XXX default user YYY

>	where YYY is the name of an existant user and XXX is the network
>	management name for the object (ie. like fal)?

>	If the above was the syntax you used that wouldn't work, please
>	specify hardware type (ie, VAX or RISC) and software version
>	numbers (ie. V2.2, V3.0, ...).

Sorry about the missing details. I'm trying it on DECnet-Ultrix v3.0 VAX
and DECnet-Ultrix v3.0a RISC. But I think that I have found the reason
why it fails for me. The reason is that I wanted to use a non-existant
user as the default user in order to disallow access to that object and
also in order to be able to allow it quickly again.

cheers jens

PS: What Jeff writes above (the ncp command) does work here as well !