ds3100/uws 2.x xon/xoff LAT problem

R. Lindsay Todd todd at unix.ecs.rpi.edu
Tue Feb 27 01:57:54 AEST 1990

In article <229 at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

>	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
>	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.
>
>	The C-X C-S (save file command) will stop output to the
>	terminal until C-Q is pressed.
>
>	This problem does not occur on a DS5400 under Ultrix 3.1-C-0
>	Rev 42.
>
>Is there any possible fix for this?  Is it something that will be
>fixed under UWS 4.0 for the DS3100?

This is also a problem with VAXen running Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.[12].  I called
DEC just a couple weeks ago about this problem; the best they could do was
submit an SPR.  Perhaps there is a patch for RISC machines only?

Oh yes -- the DECperson I talked to (Atlanta CSC) had to submit a QAR for
Ultrix 4.0/RISC, since it was a problem there too; hopefully it will be fixed
before this is released!

A kludgey work-around you might try is to tell the terminal server to disable
flow control on you port, e.g.,
   SET PORT FLOW CONTROL DISABLED
will turn off all flow control for a port on a DECserver 200 until the port is
logged off.

R. Lindsay Todd, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Internet: todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu