Maxtor 8760s on a DecStation 3100

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Feb 9 02:08:00 AEST 1990

In article <3138 at dogie.macc.wisc.edu> edwards at dogie.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
> In article <9674 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu writes:
> >We have been running our DECstation 3100 off of a Maxtor 8760S since August
> >with no major problems.  I did not do the installation myself, someone
> >else did.  We started with a 100 MB internal (rz23), so he may have loaded a
> >small system onto that before loading the 8760, I don't know.
> First of all thanks for the info. But I'm confused now.
>
> You see in my Maxtor manual it says
>
> sectors per track = 54
> tracks per cylinder = 15
> number of cylinders = 1632

I think you'll find that the numbers previously quoted are really an RA82 in
disguise.  This isn't a bad way to get things working, but plugging in the
real numbers may give you access to the full capacity of the drive and/or
better performance.

Note that the info in /etc/disktab is only to give newfs half a clue as to
the optimal way to make filesystems on the drive, you may also want to poke
around in /sys/scsi_data.c to make make the values the drive lives with a
bit more appropriate.

Disclaimer: I've haven't mucked yet with SCSI drives, so I only know how the
		traditional hp/SMD stuff works...
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com