what are gnodes?

Jeffrey W Percival jwp at cupcake.sal.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 4 05:24:10 AEST 1990

In article <2049 at eric.mpr.ca> parker at zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>What I've called here the 'system' limit is implying that you're running
>out of in-core gnodes... i.e. you have more open files than the system
>can currently handle.
>
>The filesystem limit defines how many files can exist on the disk. Both
>limits may need to be adjusted. As the problem is happening in your 'news'
>partition, it's quite conceivable that your are running into the hard
>filesystem limit and will need to rebuild your disk (ugh!).

I've received a number of very helpful replies, of which this is an
example, and my thank-you's didn't all make it through the address
labyrinth...

I looked into the system limits and the filesystem limits, and it
appears my problem is indeed with the filesystem.  News articles tend
to be small, and use up fewer than the average number of blocks.  Hence
they deplete the reserve of inodes disproportionately.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to rebuild my filesystem I go...
--
Jeffrey W Percival (jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu) (608)262-8686