Question about /usr/ucb/man -P option

Mike Iglesias iglesias at orion.oac.uci.edu
Tue Jul 3 02:07:10 AEST 1990

In article <12989 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>Have you considered using symlinks to make your man directory show up as
>/usr/man/manx?  This works for us, although it seems to require that the
>suffixes on the man entries match the subdirectory to some extent...

That's a good idea, but it won't work for us.  I guess I'd better explain
what our setup is.  We have lots of Suns (3,4,386i), some DECstations,
VAXen (Ultrix), etc.  We (the Office of Academic Computing) have a library
of software (X11R4, GNU Emacs/gcc/g++/etc, mh, etc) that people can mount
on their workstations.  We'd like to make the man pages available, but
not have to install them on the ~100 systems that use the library, so
we have the man pages as part of the library.  Sun's man has a -M
option to set the man path, so as part of the Sun executable library we
have a shell script called 'man' that does a 'man -M path:path2 ...'.
Users put the library executable path before /usr/ucb and it all works.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias at orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias at uci