Remote print spooling ultrix -> vms (decnet)

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Mon Jul 23 20:12:55 AEST 1990

> In article <1990Jul17.161156.5886 at portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks at jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>> several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
>> ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
>> question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
>> list of ultrix machines?

a) Use the copy command of ultrix (dcp) to copy a file on the LAT device.
Our lasers are attached to LAT in a spooled terminal queue, so
% dcp file node::ltaxxx:
will do the job. (You need to have a default decnet account which does have
quota on the spooling disk.)

b) I set up a simple c routine a la tell.com which is using decnet as
process to interact remotely. Drawback: slow , and a security breach.

c) look for a lpd port. If you found one, let me know. I'm very much
interested!

- Reinhard