umask

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jul 18 07:22:33 AEST 1990

In article <1114 at larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy at larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
> I am using ultrix 3.1 and NFS on 3 Microvax II's.
>
> I have my umask set up as 02.
> If I create a file using touch the machine that has a file
> system mounted over the network,  I get  644 as the permission.

Threre was a bug in one of the VAX nfs versions such that NFS was using the
default umask when the nfs deamons were started instead of or in addition
to the user umask.

The fix was to put a umask in the rc file just before the daemons were
spawned.  There may be a patch available that fixes this, check with the
support center.
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com