perl on dec 5000, ultrix 4.0: $& and recursive evals fail

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Tue Jul 31 06:55:00 AEST 1990

In article <5960 at titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp> tmaeno at cc.titech.ac.jp
(Toshinori Maeno) writes:

| In <EMV.90Jul29213617 at urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv at math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
|
| >In article <THEWALT.90Jul29124249 at canuck.ce.berkeley.edu> thewalt at canuck.ce.berkeley.edu (C. Thewalt) writes:
|
| >   Ed said:   perl on dec 5000, ultrix 4.0.
| >      fails tests 40-42 in op.s, all having to do with $&.
| >      fails tests 8 and 9 in op.eval, dealing with recursive evals.
|
| >   Chris said: I compiled everything without -O and all tests pass.
|
| >   Ed said: thanks Chris and Michael Stryker (strkyer at phyc.ucsf.edu),
| >      compiling with -g (not -O) and -DCRIPPLED_CC and it passes all
| >      tests.
| We had the same problem on our MIPS3240 and Sony RISC NEWS.
|   Mr. Ohta found that Mips C compiler generates buggy code for perly.c
|   when we compiled with -O.
|   				Maeno Toshinori

If you saved the recent GNU CC patches that I sent to the gnu CC bug
list, the compiler produced will compile perl with normal and -O2
optimizations.  Note that the patches I submitted do not allow for
full debugging, since RMS requested that I delay the debug patches
until GCC revision 2.00.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?