DS3100 Login problems

Ross Garrett Cutler rgc at wam.umd.edu
Fri Jul 20 04:38:52 AEST 1990

Hello,
	We have a DS3100 w/8 MB of RAM, Ultrix 3.1d, running DECWindows.
We are having login problems of the following sort:

	1. If you login from the console after it hasn't been used for
	   several hours, it let's you enter your user-id, pw, then
	   churns away for 15 seconds...and then comes back to the
	   login prompt!  It requires several attempts to login successfully.
	2. Remote (telnet) logins work fine.
	3. Logins immediately after someone has used it also work fine.

A DEC person suggested that the $term variable == none sometimes
(instead of vt300), and that we shouldn't do any reads from the
terminal (e.g. biff) if this is true.  She did not ofter a better solution,
so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this strange occurence.
I have verified that $term is indeed none after some period of console
inactivity.  Ross.
--
Ross Cutler
University of Maryland, College Park