uid range on Ultrix

karish at mindcrf.UUCP karish at mindcrf.UUCP
Fri Jul 27 09:07:48 AEST 1990

In article <26AF09F9.18927 at orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias at orion.oac.uci.edu
(Mike Iglesias) writes:
>In article <157 at decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> chetal at flume.zk3.dec.com
>(Pradeep Chetal) writes:
>> [my question about the max uid deleted]
>>Yup, Ultrix 4.0 HAS the same restriction.
>>This is for POSIX compliance.
>
>POSIX doesn't define the UID_MAX, just that the uid_t type should be a short.

    POSIX requires that uid_t be an arithmetic type, and does not
    specify whether it's signed or not.  Some POSIX-conforming systems
    have uid_t defined as type unsigned long.  Which raises some
    interesting questions when it's time to make NFS work, but that's
    another story...

    By the way, ULTRIX 4.0 seems to accept user IDs between 32000 and
    32767.  At least, chmod() returns without error when I give it
    32700 as a user ID and as a group ID.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000