Getting back an Overwritten config file

John R. Red-horse jrr at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 12 01:46:29 AEST 1990

Hello Netlanders,
I am a novice (and reluctant) system manager for a small Ultrix LAN
consisting of four diskless VAXxtation 3100's being served by a
VAXstation 3200 boot node and a DECstation 5400.  Each of these systems
is running version 3.1 Ultrix and the VAXstations run UWS 2.2 as well.
I ran into a peculiar, though self-induced problem that I am hopeful
can be recovered from in some reasonable fashion.  Specifically,
while adding disks to each of the machines, I noticed that I was going
to have to modify the config file via the utility ``doconfig'' and rebuild
my kernel.  Silly me, I asked to have the existing file overwritten when
queried by doconfig (the question doesn't say *WHEN* the overwriting gets
done) and, quite simply, the config files that I had built originally,
through the automated build procedure on the install tapes are gone (sigh).

Is there a sane way to do this again without going through the install
again from scratch?  Assuming that I do have to do the install, do I lose
all the stuff that is currently configured and running on the systems
(e.g., DECnet, nfs, etc.)?  Do not mistake the overall tone of this
note as that of a calm man---I am desperate, I need help.

Thanks to all in advance.
Cheers,

John Red-Horse                           INTERnet:JRRedho at sandia.gov
Org 1524(Engineering Analysis Div)
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, NM   87185-5800    Bell:	(505) 846-6115