5400 binary and 3100 binary, are they compatible both ways?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jul 24 07:35:10 AEST 1990

In article <scs.648748265 at hela.iti.org> scs at iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
> In article <1990Jul20.162904.3793 at Neon.Stanford.EDU> farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) writes:
> > When I installed our 3100s I just NFS mounted the /usr form
> > out 5400 to save time and space...
>
> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> >I'm doing essentially the same thing with a 3100 and a 5800 with
> >3.1c and haven't noticed any problems of this sort.
>
> Hmm . . . DEC went out of their way to tell us *not* to run Ultrix 3.1c
> binaries on 3100s -- they didn't know of any problems, just said it

I should point out that DEC has been quite consistant in saying this, however
when it come down to wasting ~150 M-byte of disk to serve an older version, or
forking out $nK to special order 3.1D media which DEC hasn't otherwise seen fit
to send me, then I'm reasonably happy to notice that it seems to work quite
nicely.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com