Dec's QAR system -- help

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jul 6 21:22:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul6.021436.19659 at portia.Stanford.EDU> kocks at jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
> We are a beta test site for some Ultrix software produced by dec.  I
> am supposed to be able to use their QAR (Quality Assurance xxxx???)
> system by modem, but their system does not recognize my terminal type
> (which I don't know either because I am using a fairly basic PC
> communications package (PC-TALK) and I don't have the documentation).

Why don't you pick up a half decent terminal emulator like procomm or one
of 13,000 others that will at least respond back to a terminal type query
as "vt102" or something the software should understand?

> 1) Is there a way to telnet into DEC's QAR system?
> 2) Is there a way of using dec net to get into the QAR system?

Probably not that they want anybody to know about...

> I would like to take this opportunity to FLAME at dec for a very poor
> implementation of the QAR system.  I logon to thier machine and it
> does not allow me to set my terminal type!!!!

Obviously, you haven't tried DSIN or the Digital Electronic Store -
you ain't seen nothing yet...  Admittedly, it would be nice if DEC's
software was a little more flexible, but it shouldn't be such a big
deal to find a decent emulator or even (gasp) a DEC compatible terminal
so you can cater to it's whims...  8-)

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com