struct cdevsw in ULTRIX-32 (RISC)

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.nac.dec.com
Fri Jul 6 13:02:21 AEST 1990

> question: why does the ULTRIX-32 (VAX) V3.1 cdevsw struct have eleven entries

> per device while the generic Berkeley 4.3 have only ten?  and when did this
> extra entry appear and what is its purpose?

struct cdevsw
{
        int     (*d_open)();
        int     (*d_close)();
        int     (*d_read)();
        int     (*d_write)();
        int     (*d_ioctl)();
        int     (*d_stop)();
        int     (*d_reset)();
        struct tty *d_ttys;
        int     (*d_select)();
        int     (*d_mmap)();
        int     (*d_strat)();	/* Not in BSD 4.3 */
        int     d_affinity;	/* New for ULTRIX V4.0 (SMP support) */
};

And from /sys/machine/common/conf.c (V4.0):
 * 11-Mar-86 -- lp
 *      Add strat to entire cdevsw for n-buffered I/O.

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.