uVax II problems

John Dodson johnd at physiol.su.oz.au
Sat Jun 2 08:46:54 AEST 1990

In <1990Jun1.151251.24062 at eng.umd.edu> smaug at eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) writes:

>We have a uVax-II with a third party disk controller with two 320meg
>Maxtor disk drives attached to this controller.  Additionally,
>a third party 8 meg memory board is in the system.
>After some downtime (for re-arrangment of the area where the
>machine lives), I cannot bring the machine back up.

>What confuses me is why the machine gets so far along in the startup
>before it crashes and burns.  Any ideas out there?

>machine check 80: read bus error, VAP is virtual
>        sumpar  = 80
>        most recent virtual addr        =8798
>        internal state  =0
>        pc      = 8794
>        psl     = 3c00000

>        mser    = 241

You have a memory problem (m chk 80)
problem is in additional memory board 1 (mser = 241) if it were mser =2C1
it would be board 2.

it could be, the board itself (ie a bad chip) or the cable at the rear of the
boards if this cable is not very very short ;-) you will have problems (or if
it is not quite pushed right in)

Try the cable, then replace the board (or remove it, but then I don't know
if your kernel will manage with only the 1Mb on the cpu board)
Most of these 3rd party boards come with 5yr or lifetime ?;-) warranty.
For info on uvaxII hardware you need the KA630 cpu manual (can't recall the
DEC part No. off hand)

johnd at physiol.su.oz.au