Problems with GCC 1.37.1 and Ultrix 4.0

Tim Lowman tkl at cscosl.ncsu.edu
Tue Jun 12 04:31:54 AEST 1990

North Carolina State University has recently purchased some DECstation
2100's and 3100's.  On our development system, which is running ULTRIX V4.0
(Rev. 163) UWS V4.0 (Rev. 120), I tried to install the gcc compiler version
1.37.1.  I configured gcc (config.gcc) to decstation (since this software
was to run on the DECstation 3100.  During compilation, I received one error
which was remedied by changing the definition of _SIZE_T to _SIZE_T_ in
stddef.h and the typedef of unsigned long size_t to unsigned int size_t.
Then I tried to re-compile gcc, which worked except for the two following
warnings:
>cc -g  -I. -I. -I./config -c insn-emit.c
>ccom: Warning: insn-emit.c, line 729: statement not reached
>        operand0 = emit_operand[0];
>      ----------------------------^
>ccom: Warning: insn-emit.c, line 749: zero or negative subscript
>        rtx emit_operand[0];
>      --------------------^

Gcc is generated; however, when you try to compile very simple programs (like
hello world or a simple grading program in this instance) you get the
following errors:

>gcc -DTEST -o grade grade.c
>as1: Warning: /usr/tmp/cca09606.s, line 861: nop must be inside .set noreorder section
>ld:
>Can't open: crt0.o (No such file or directory)
>ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

This file, grade.c, contains no assembly calls.  Any idea?

Tim Lowman (tkl at cscosl)