RZ23 setup on DEC3100 Station

Bob "Pete" St.Pierre stpierre at hawk.ulowell.edu
Thu Jun 7 07:10:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun4.181254.8137 at ecn.purdue.edu> jmoore at cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) writes:

>set up as follows : Dec3100 Server (8mb), 3 Dec3110 Stations (8mb)
>TK50, 2 RZ55, RZ23 (in one of the clients). We are running ultrix.
>
>We recently set the systems up and I have yet to figure out how I
>can use the RZ23 on the client station. I want to use it as swap
>space but have no clue as to what to do first. I am short on disk
>space and have a 650MB disk we are going to order but I need to get
>the RZ23 in use now. Any assistance or direction would be helpful.

	If your short on disk space this probably won't help much be here
	goes:

First you have to configure one of your machines as a server for diskless
clients.  This is done using dms, and the Ultrix server software (Ultrix 3.X)
or your regular distribution tapes (Ultrix 4.0).  The diskless environement
takes about 68Mb with DECnet/Man pages, and some of the Unsupported stuff.

After the server is configured, you can use dms to register a diskless client.
One of the questions dms will ask pertains to where the client will swap, and
do crash dumps.  The client disk is one option, the server is the other.  If
you chose the client you will be prompted for the device name [ie rz3c] for
the whole disk.  If you want you can probably use chpt, change the
partition sizes, and use some of the 104Mb for data.  I use a 33Mb partition,
(the default b partition) and should probably have made it larger.

If you are already booting diskless, you should be able to edit the kernel
config file and change the kernel definition to:

>config  vmunix  root on boot swap on rz3c

Hope this helps.
--
Bob (Pete) St.Pierre    	                           University of Lowell
Systems Manager                                            1 University Ave