How to stop core files in /

Michael Meyer mikem+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 10 07:36:35 AEST 1990

The X server on my decstation 3100's has a nasty habit of crashing and
dropping a LARGE core file in /.  (*)  I can live with the X server
restarting itself, but I would prefer not to have my / filesystem filled
up with the core file.

Is there any way of inhibiting the core dump, something like the shell's
limit command except for root?

(*) I have a heavily used program which either tickles a bug in the X
server, or is itself buggy.

Thanks,
                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing