Need help with DEC WINDOWS on DEC 3100 stations

Daniel S. Riley riley at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri May 4 02:31:11 AEST 1990

>In a recent article jmoore at cimlab.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) wrote:
>>The problem is that whenever a person tries to log into the
>>client [DECstation 3100] the DecWindows accepts the login and the password
>>and then seems to time out and return the login prompt. After
>>several tries (random number but usaly more than 5-6 tries)
>>it eventualy will allow a person to log into the system.

Yet another data point...something like this happens on ours too.
Usually only the first login attempt fails, it only seems to happen
if the DECstation has been idle for awhile, and it only happens on
the DECstations with only 8 MB (I haven't seen the problem on mine
since it was upped to 16 MB).  And I never saw it when I was running
the MIT X11R4 server (which I don't currently, mostly because of
dxcalendar).

I'm now in the habit of hitting return twice before trying to log
into an 8 MB ds3100, just to get that first failure over with as
quickly as possible.

-Dan Riley (riley at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University