ifconfig and trailers

Jaye Mathisen mathisen at dali.cs.montana.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:20:57 AEST 1990

In article <3411 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
>Someone suggested that we should have a -trailers option on our ifconfig
>command in rc.local. He said it ehances network performance.
>
>By intuition it seems you would want trailers. Any comments?

Somewhere, there was a large discussion about how the use of trailers
wasn't supported by all implementations of TCP/IP, and it could cause
all kinds of difficulties.

While I don't remember the specifics, we used to run with trailers here
and problems, that disappeared when we used -trailers.  I would guess
that if all you had were DEC machines running flavors of Ultrix, you
could use trailers and not have a problem, but be wary when you
mix vendors.