getty replacement wanted for Ultrx/BSD4.x

Lance Franklin ltf at ncmicro.lonestar.org
Sun Oct 14 03:56:55 AEST 1990

Let's try this again...never got any response to earlier requests.

I'm looking for sources for getty (or a getty replacement) that will
allow a better interface to hayes-style modems that can notify the
computer of the baud-rate of the caller.  Yes, I know that the present
one will autobaud using break sequences, but we're going to be running
a customer support bbs at this site, and I have having to explain to
our customers about the breaks, not to mention that many people don't
even KNOW how to send a break from their terminal-emulation-package.

And no, I can't just set the modem (it's a Telebit T1000) to remain at
9600 baud and let it handle the lower speeds internally, because the
DECstation 3100 I'm working with has limited modem-control lines
and can't really do hardware flow-control...

With that in mind, what I'm asking for is either sources for getty
or a getty replacement (or front-end) that will understand the
CONNECT baud message that a hayes-compatable modem sends and set
the tty baud rate properly before handing off to login.  If it could
also figure out whether the caller is calling at 7E1 or 8N1 and take
care of that as well, so much the better.  It should work on Ultrix
although anything BSD 4.[23] compatable should work.  Ultrix uses
the /etc/ttys and /etc/gettytab files for tty initialization and setup,
if that helps.  Unfortunately, all the getty replacements I've seen
on the net up to now have been SYSV compatable, not much help.

Anybody out there have what I'm looking for?

Lance

--
(ltf at ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "I'll hit you with this here lollipop!"      |