Perl test problems under Ultrix 4.0

Michael C. B. Ashley mcba at newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 25 08:06:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct23.190637.9412 at cimage.com>, brian at cimage.com (Brian Kelley) writes:

> I've been trying to build perl patchlevel 37 under Ultrix 4.0 without success.
> This is on a System 5400.  The make goes fine, but 'make test' fails on tests
> 7 and 40.  Has anyone else experienced these problems or built perl under
> 4.0 (I've had no problems on our Suns using the same code)?

perl patchlevel 37 passes all tests with the following modifications to
the Makefile (as per the suggestions in README):

   (1) CFLAGS = -DLANGUAGE_C -O
   (2) Turn off optimization for the compilation of perly.c and tperly.c
      (this is easily done by editing the make rules for perly.o and
       tperly.o.

Also, when building the Makefile with Configure, I specified volatile
flags adding up to 1. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I believe
that the MIPS compiler has (or had) some trouble with volatile.
Otherwise, use the default answers for everything from Configure.

Good luck!

Michael Ashley / Astrophysics Dept. / Uni of UNSW /
mcba at usage.csd.unsw.oz.au