Importing documents in DECwrite / FrameMaker

Tom Morris morris at uninet.dec.com
Tue Oct 9 00:28:50 AEST 1990

Newsgroups:
comp.text.desktop,comp.text,comp.sys.dec,comp.unix.ultrix,mail.framers
From: morris at uninet.dec.com (Tom Morris)
Subject: Re: Importing documents in DECwrite / FrameMaker

|> What I need is a way to tell DECwrite that it must apply specific
|> styles to the paragraphs while loading the document. (The load
|> document is generated automatically and I can control what is
|> generated, and how.) I think this can be done with a suitable CDA
|> converter, but I don't have any experience with writing one.

Without knowing what kind of document format you are trying to import into
DECwrite it is hard to be specific, but I can think of two other possibilities
in addition to the CDA Converter Library mentioned by Jim Gettys.  The first
possibility is to look for a CDA converter from someone other than Digital if
the converter you need isn't in the Digital converter library.  The second
possibility is to use DECwrite's macro facility to apply search for markup tags
in the imported document, delete them, and then apply the relevant style to
the element.  This will obviously only will work if you document has easily
identifiable markup or you can generate the same, but it is a technique that
I know several people have used successfully.

Tom Morris				morris at casee.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment,
Centre Technique Europe S.A.R.L		DTN 828-5729
B.P. 129 - Sophia Antipolis 		Tel. +33 92 95 57 29
06561 Valbonne Cedex - France		Fax  +33 93 65 41 58