Ultrix 4.0 sendmail MX handling

Randy Marchany marchany at vtserf.cc.vt.edu
Thu Oct 11 05:28:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep5.134625.16191 at ni.umd.edu> louie at sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed problems with MX forwarding in sendmail?  Here's
>the problem that I've had:
>
>In the DNS, there are some MX records for TRANTOR.UMD.EDU:
>
>TRANTOR.UMD.EDU	IN	MX	10 TRANTOR.UMD.EDU.
>		IN	MX	20 CAMELOT.UMD.EDU.
>
>louie

He goes on to state that whenever TRANTOR goes down, CAMELOT tries to
deliver to  TRANTOR and on failure, opens a 'connected to itself' which is
the problem. Apparently, the list of MX forwarders is not trimmed to
those with lower preferences than itself. This used to work on Ultrix
3.1.

We've run into the same problem here at our site. I was looking thru
comp.unix.ultrix for a response to the original note but couldn't find
it. Does anyone what changed in sendmail (or whatever) between Ultrix
versions? Thanks.
	-Randy Marchany
INTERNET: marchany at vtserf.cc.vt.edu