DOS emulator under UNIX and X windows

Dave Carter carter at ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov
Wed Oct 24 13:44:36 AEST 1990

In article <38623 at ut-emx.uucp> jeff at nic.the.net writes:
>In article <1274 at mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, Dave Carter writes that
>SoftPC doesn't run under Ultrix 4.0, emulates only an 8088, and
>supports only CGA.
>
>I'm happy to report to the contrary that the version I have installed
>on my DS3100 ("SoftPC-AT V2.11") runs under 4.0, emulates an
>80286+80287 (real mode only), supports CGA, Hercules, and EGA, and
>supports EMS (LIM) up to 32mb.
>
>I'm not convinced that this is a great product, but I thought that
>folks should at least have current info.

just goes to show how good their support is: i talked to a number of
people there *yesterday*, and got the word that they were planning a
release which supported EGA "probably by the end of December or early
in '91."  i also asked DEC to look into this, and they came up with
the same answer.  they also said that they were "negotiating" for a
VGA version which may be out in about a year.  we are talking about
the same company, Insignia, right?  :-)

i'll have to call them again tomorrow morning, and see if i can find
someone there who knows what they're talking about. (right! :-))  you
would think that people at a "one-product-line" company would at least
know that one product!

						- dave