Problem with Software in DECWindows

Joel Gringorten gringort at wsl.dec.com
Thu Oct 4 04:25:57 AEST 1990

In article <2360 at kiwi.mpr.ca>, nakamoto at joplin.mpr.ca (Alan Nakamoto) writes:

|> I'm trying to put my finger on a problem we are having with a piece of
|> software. We are currently running Ultrix 3.1D (Worksystem V2.2) on
|> color 3100's and model 5000 DECstations.
[...]
|> The mouse can be moved around but the system no longer
|> responds to any button clicks at all. Thus, the session manager cannot
|> be selected, or anything. [...] Also, this seems to
|> be a random event, everything will work fine on the 5000 for sometimes
|> minutes, or sometimes hours without hanging up.
[...]
|> I was wondering if anyone might have a thought about this. Is such a
|> problem likely to be with the application software or would it be a
|> windowing/OS problem on the 5000. If so, would upgrading to Ultrix 4.0

This is almost certainly a known problem with 3.1D on the 5000.  The problem
has to do with a race condition which causes an infrequent and random hang
that can occur during cursor loading.  There's a patch available from the
Support Center in Atlanta.  Perhaps somebody else can tell you the exact
procedure for getting this patch, but I imagine that any DEC SW support
person knows how to get it.  (Sorry to be so vague, I can get more info
on the procedure for this if you like.)

Upgrading to 4.0 does certainly fix the problem as well.
-joel