_slow_ rdump

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Mon Oct 15 06:59:42 AEST 1990

In article <8844 at pitt.UUCP> field at elvis.cs.pitt.edu (Gus) writes:

>Last night I tried dumping a 300 MB file system to tape (via rdump) from
>a Decstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1) to a  1/4" SCSI tape drive hanging off
>a Sun3 (4.0.3).  rdump reported this would take 24 hours!

	Sometimes rdump exaggerates a little with its time estimates, but
it *IS* pretty slow. I've heard (haven't measured it) that using dd to
block the transfer can be much faster, EG:

dump 0f - /filesystem | rsh tapehost dd of=/dev/tapedrive

	I'm not sure why this is the case, to tell the truth. The rmt
protocol sends a return value after each remote read/write, which should
make it slower than the rsh/dd combination (which doesn't check errors
or returns on the write) but I can't imagine it would make it that much
slower. Has anyone ever measured this ? This is a subject of some interest
to me.

mjr.
--
 coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee